Saturday, May 19, 2012


Serahpina by Rachel Hartman
***.5 stars
I had such mixed emotions over this book early on, so I am going to get those out of the way first. When I read the premise for this book I fell in love with it. I love dragon stories and looked forward to reading this story. Seraphina starts of well for about the first 20% and then for me it just stalled out to the point I wasn't sure I wanted to keep reading it or not. Then at about the 45% mark it picked back up. At this point one thing after another was either being set up to unfold or was unfolding which happily drew me back into the story. In the end I was glad I preserved, and for me it was worth it.
Seraphine is a beautifully written story there is no flaws in the writing itself or in the world building. The descriptions were great of the City of Goreddi as well as that of the dragons. One of my favorite parts of the story is Seraphina's Garden of Grotesques. I like how that is apart of her and the whole story. I thought it was quite unique how it all came together in the end. Conceptually I think this story is unique and interesting. I just wonder if there were parts that might have been edited to have helped with pacing of the story. I liked the world that was created were humans and dragons lived together. Dragon's had to live in disguise as humans as per the treaty of Comonot. There was still a lot of unease between the groups. This unease may reach a breaking point if prejudice cannot be set a side and war may be emanate.
The Characters in this story were interesting as well, some more fleshed out than others. A few of my favorites were Seraphina she is the assistant music director to the Queens court. Her family life is stressed, her friends are far and few between, which was a little sad. She is strong, intelligent, witty, loving, kind, flawed, sincere, and in search of finding out who she is and what she is made of. Ormar is her tutor, and I really liked him, not so much in the beginning but latter on. Can't really say much more about him without giving to much away. Princess Glisselda is next in line to be queen. She is immature, prejudice, good friend to Seraphina, sweet, strong and redeemable. Prince Lucian is fiance to Princess Glisselda and also her cousin. He is full of chilvary, integrity, good friend, flawed, stubborn, and strong. I also really liked Abdo who is a dancer from pygegyria troupe and so much more.... There were many more characters I enjoyed in this story but I won't list them all.
In the end I was glad I stuck it out. I really liked how the story unfolded in the end. I do want to continue Seraphina's journey as it unfolds in the next book.
Rating I would say 3.5 stars.

Clean read

Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Children's Books Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment