Monday, August 20, 2012



My Loving Vigil Keeping by Carla Kelly
*****


I am in complete ah of this story and it has now become one of my very favorite books. This story has so much heart, and I felt like mine was being tugged at continually. It brought me to tears several times. The emotions that are felt and brought to life in this story are so true to life. I love all of the characters and just wanted to reach through the pages and hug them all. I know, sounds a little over the top, but this story and it's characters is one I will not soon forget.

Della is a simple but beautiful young women raised by her uncle Karl and aunt Caroline, who are premier residents in Salt Lake City. Tragedy had taken her father, and her mother had left them when she was a young girl. Della's aunt was a nasty mean women, and that is putting it lightly,grr she made me so mad I wanted to reach through my kindle and do bodily harm to the women. Uncle Karl should have been more aware of what was going on concerning the care of his niece. I think the man must have been blind, but in truth I think he is a coward. Della has an opportunity to teach in Winter Quarters a coal mining community in Colorado. She wants to go there to start a new and do some personal healing of her heart. I loved these people of Winter Quarters they were amazing. Everything isn't perfect in the little town. There were definite social class prejudice that were brought to light in this story and were dealt with very well. Della makes friends and begins to start her life here. She also begins to loss her heart to a wonderful man.....but? The journey with Della in this little mining community was fun as well as heart wrenching, and I am so glad I was apart of it.

This story resonates with me on a personal level, my great-great grandmother was a child of the mines. Her father was a coal miner from England who came to America to work the mines with his brothers in Kimmer, Wyoming,. He brought his wife and Daughter Sarah (my grandmother) by ship. His wife decided to leave him and departed the boat with another man. He would not allow her to take Sarah with her. Sarah grew up in the mines and took care of her coal mining father who was a drunk. Her father would have her walk the rail tracks in search of spilled coal that they could use to keep warm with. My great-great grandfather found her with two buckets of coal tide to a pole around her back lying in the freezing snow almost dead. He took her home to his family and they nursed her back to health. Years later they would be married. She never went back to live with her father, he new were she was, he died later in a mine explosion. Sara later became a well known midwife in Star Valley, Wyoming. Mrs. Kelly helped to paint a picture with words for me of my grandmothers life through her story of Della, and I am very grateful, Thank you Mrs. Kelly.

I know I rambled some with this review, but if you love historical fiction, romance, beautiful writing, witty, strong, frustrating, chivalrous characters you will probably love this story too.


content:
clean read

warning lots of tissues for the happy and sad times:)

No comments:

Post a Comment