Wednesday, October 19, 2011



The Name of The Star by Maureen Johnson
*****
What a great story, it was intriguing, mysterious, a little haunting, and just really well done! I am not a thrill seeker so I wasn't sure if I would like this book. Friends reviews came back glowing and they didn't make it sound as though it would be to scary, so I thought I would give it a try. I am really glad I did. The story starts of with Rory who is and American headed off to boarding school in London. Sounds like fun! She is excited with all the new opportunities that this year will offer, new school, new friends, boyfriend maybe, and new adventures. Rory is a smart, courageous, spunky, friendly, and a devoted friend. Rory can also see things that others can not. Jack the Ripper from 1888 is back in present day London. He is reenacting all his old crimes, and everyone is scarred. All this is happening close to were Rory lives, and one night she sees something that might be important to the police investigation. I really liked this new take on the Jack the Ripper story, and I learned things I hadn't known about concerning him. There are lots of twists and turns to this story, which kept me on the edge of each page. I enjoyed the descriptions and workings of London. I felt like I was right there seeing it all for the first time along with Rory. The characters were wonderfully created I liked so many of them Jazza the sceptical, perfect, wonderful roommate. Boo her other roommate, who was a little more edgy, funny and a little mysterious. Her......love/like interest was funny, cute, smart and fun to listen to. I really liked his character. Their relationship is moving really slowly which I can appreciate, and it is really sweet. Alistair, is a side character who is really great he just added a little something to the story. The ending was quite a shocker! I am completely intrigued, to see were this is headed. I am really glad there is a second one to come.


clean language
clean romance
Some description do to murder and investigations. Not overly detailed but there is a some.

No comments:

Post a Comment