Wednesday, November 23, 2011



The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson
*****


I love this cover, so romantic. I like that you can see her prince charming in her mirror. This was a wonderfully done retailing of Beauty and the Beast. The writing was well done, and the characters were what really kept me turning those pages. The good ones as well as the villians. Let me tell you there were quite a few villians in this story including Annabel's own family. I wanted to throttle all of them. In my opinion they get the worst family award, yes they were that terrible.
Certain events transpire leaving Annabel in the service of Lord le Wyse, who is a scared physically and emotionally. Annabel becomes more to Lord le Wyse through their Bible readings together. I really liked this aspect of the story. Mrs. Dickerson was true to history, at this time not everyone even priest had access to the bible (story takes place 1300's) Annabel had always wanted to read the bible, even willing to go to a convent in order to do so. She is very emotional over the fact that she can touch and read from this divine book. Their relationship grows from these and other little encounters. I really liked Annabel she is sweet, naive, sacrificing, kind, and patient. Lord le Wyse is flawed, self doubting, ornery, just, and honorable. He was quite the character at times! I really enjoyed watching their relationship and feelings grow for one another, very sweetly done.
On top of the wonderful romance and historical information there is also an almost murder attempt on a secondary character. This book kept a great pace and I loved this particular retailing, it was done with out the magic ( I do love the magical ones too) but it was fun to see what could happen with two regular people.
Great story, well done! I was sad to see it end. I look forward to reading more of this author's works.

Clean language
Clean romance

Copy provided by Netgalley and Zonervan publishing Thank You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment